Tuesday 24 January 2012

I Love Food

I love food. It's that simple. Most people love food. Human beings generally enjoying eating something that tastes nice, even if the only diversity in their food intake ranges from 'Burger' to 'Burger With Fries'

I'm lucky, I love cooking. But I think I love cooking because

a) I'm good at it
b) I am quick
c) I cut out all the nonsense, stress and rocket science

I'm not overly patient. I'm not very accurate, precise or analytical. I am certainly not a perfectionist. I was very lucky as a child; from a young age my father taught me how to cook. Nothing fancy, just the basics. And the basics are the foundation of any meal, whether it's a cooked breakfast or a full roast dinner.

I have also been blessed with Irish common sense. This particular brand of 'common sense' has no tolerance for 'faffing around'.......

You will often hear broad Belfast accents declaring 'catch yourself on, I've no time to be messing around with that fannying about, just get on with it'......... I must point out this blanket statement can and is often applied to a wide range of life's scenarios, from politics to child bearing.

So, with my combination of common sense, love of food, impatience and some early grounding, I have developed into a very capable and highly praised cook.

Praised by my own friends and family, but praise none-the-less. There is a chance that they would say anything to avoid cooking themselves, but I've cooked for such a variety of people; French, Indian, children, older folks....... I think I'm doing something right.

So I'm going to pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment